Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Music I Love, Part 1

So, I'm a big fan of music.  And today I was trying to think of what music I like the most and had trouble deciding.  I just love music a lot!  (Except for country--sorry country fans).  So here are my favorite songs in each genre (excuse me if my categorization is not perfect and let me know if I left anything out):

Classical: Wagner "Flight of the Valkyries" (Thanks Fantasia!)  :)



Jazz: This category has to be split up because it is far too huge to pick just one!  So here are the subcategories: Early Jazz/Ragtime: "The Entertainer" by Scott Joplin!  All I can think of is the movie The Sting when I hear this.  And if you haven't seen The Sting, you absolutely must!!!



Middle Era/Big Band Jazz:  Oh, how does one pick!?!  My very favorite to play (Saxophone--long time jazz geek if you couldn't tell) was "In the Mood" by Glen Miller.  And "Sing, Sing, Sing" by Benny Goodman was another great one.  But I'm going to go with "Don't Sit Under the Apple Tree" sung by the Andrews Sisters.  I had a 33 1/2 record of the best big band jazz when I was a kid and this was my go-to favorite!


Later Era: John Coltrane!  Gotta love a sax man!  He was amazing.  "Giant Steps" is still a work of art.


Early Rock: When I was a small child, before I knew what being dead was, I just KNEW I was going to marry Buddy Holly!  "Not Fade Away" was one of my faves:


The Beatles get their own category because they are the band I remember listening to with my mom.  She was mega obsessed.  It's hard to pick one, so I'm going with a feel-good one: "All Together Now"


The 70s are not really my favorite era.  Not a big disco fan, though a little disco can be fun.  Funk is more my thing.  And since seeing George Clinton and P-Funk live in college was a total blast, I'll go with "We want the Funk"  And the birth of punk was pretty awesome.  The Cars "You're All I've Got Tonight" is one of my favorites.





The 80s were also not my era.  But if I have to pic, I'll go with some good old Michael!  "Billie Jean" is one of my top MJ songs.


The 90s were way more my thing.  In fact, after trying to pick a song or two, that I honestly can't.  This is the true music of my youth.  I am going to have to dedicate a whole post to the 90s if I want to do them justice.

Here are my two Currently Loving pics:  Sister Crayon "In Re-Verse"



And The Shins "Young Pilgrims"

1 comment: